Turku comics club anthology

My hometwns comic club publishes a comic anthology every year. It always has a theme of sorts and this year it was scifi. I got the immense joy of fixing it to print this year(please note the heavy sarcasm on the joy part) and also ended up doing a one pager to it. Or well, I sent it to print this morning and did the comic late last night... We never got some ad's that were supposed to be in it(thanks guys...) so we had one empty page with nothing to put in it. My boyfriend and I(who just happens to be the editor of this thing, krhm) have been joking about polar bears in space for months so I did a quick page on that. It's pretty much just lines as I really did this in the last minute which is a shame. For some reason the things that end up in print from me always seem to be doodles done in two minutes :D But well, maybe I'll finish this one day, or not. Here it is never the less

 A very crude translation would go: " Join the patrol they said. Explore the galaxy and see new worlds... For some reason they never mentioned getting a partner who forget where he parked our spaceship, with the stealth on..." So yeah, that thing in her hand is supposed to be some kind of locator for an invisible spaceship. Crude, I know :D And man was it a pain to draw a facepalming polar bear!

But really, check out the Anthology 4: Scifi from Tursa! It's published in Finncon2010. And most of the art is actually good and not done in 5 minutes. Here's a peek of the covers by the amazingly talented Mr. Ossi Hiekkala


I took forever fixing the graphics for the covers. I loved Ossi's painting so much that I wanted to push it up even more with using colors from it and keeping the rest pretty neutral and minimalistic. I started with a retro pulpish feel and the editor originally wanted a black cover but I felt that this picture needed air and light around it, not black blocks.

Comments

Popular Posts